Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spiritual Nourishment


This weekend, is the LDS General Conference, an event that happens twice a year and I look forward to a lot. Here's why in a nutshell: "The purpose of conference is that we may refresh our faith, strengthen our testimonies, and learn the ways of the Lord from his duly appointed and authorized servants. May we take this opportunity, then, to remind each other of our covenants and promises and commitments." -Spencer W. Kimball

I like that President Kimball uses the word "refresh" because that is exactly what conference does for me. After listening, taking notes and pondering on the words that have been said, my whole being feels like it got a jump start.

I think my favorite talk that I have heard so far is Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk about peace. For some reason his words struck me with a lot of power this afternoon and I frantically began taking notes on the things he said and the way I felt about them. I will share some of those with you below:

-We all seek after peace.
-Sources of peace--not found in wealth, power, pleasure, leisure or entertainment. The Savior is the our source for peace.
-Peace of conscience leads to contentment and this ultimately comes from our ability to repent and become clean through the Savior's atonement
-“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:26–27).
-"That in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).
-Hymn # 129 Where Can I Turn For Peace?

I cannot wait for more spiritual nourishment to be provided by tomorrow's sessions of conference. I would love to hear about your favorite talk and any thoughts that you have had while watching conference. Share with me if you would like.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post Laura! I love General Conference too. I get so excited every six months to hear it. I have really loved binding the two ensigns together and reading the talks afterword. I am almost done with last conf ensign in time for this one. You should make one to help remind yourself to review the talks often. One of my favorite talks was Elder Scott's on Saturday. So good!

    ReplyDelete